Recipes : Fiddlehead Fern with Potato fry
Today I am going to present before you a very popular authentic dish from the The north-eastern state of Assam which is Fiddlehead Fern or Dhekia Saag fry with Potatoes. Dhekia saag or Fiddlehead Fern is a must in traditional Assamese cuisine. Its a tasty, yet easy to prepare a simple dish which everyone will surely relish.
Fiddlehead Fern is a rich source of vitamin A and vitamin C, high in antioxidants and Omega-3 & Omega-6 fatty acids. Fiddlehead Fern is also very rich in electrolytes and minerals such as potassium, iron, manganese & copper. It also contains a little amount of essential B complex vitamins like niacin and thiamine.
Ingredients needed for this mouth watering traditional Assamese dish: 2-3 bunches of Fiddlehead Fern, 2 potatoes, onions, green chillies, paanch phoron, turmeric powder, mustard oil and salt. Cooking time: 15-20 minutes.
- Clean the Fiddlehead Ferns properly, chop them and keep them aside.
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces. Chop the onions finely.
- Then heat mustard oil in a pan, add paanch phoron, green chillies, turmeric powder, salt and finely chopped onions to the oil and stir till golden brown.
- Add the potato pieces to the masala mix and let them cook for five minutes on low flame.
- Finally,Add the chopped Fiddlehead Ferns to it, mix well and stir fry for some time.
- Cover the lid of the pan and cook it on medium heat till all the water evaporates from the Fiddlehead Ferns.
- Your dish will be ready to serve in 10 minutes. Switch off the gas.
- Finally, you can present your yummy dish on the dining table to your near and dear ones. You can serve Fiddlehead Fern with Potato Fry with hot steam rice either in lunch or dinner time to your family. Everyone will definitely be going to just love it and praise your culinary skills.